Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thing # 10 - RSS feeds

I had always seen these orange squares and wasn't sure how to use them.  I also did not know exactly what they did.  After watching the video, RSS in Plain English by Lee LeFever, it was very clear.  The short video did a great job explaining the purpose behind RSS feeds and how to sign up.  I chose to use Google Reader since I already had a Google account.  It was as easy as the video said it would be.

The idea behind RSS feeds is wonderful.  There are several sites I often check to see if anything has been added.  It is great that you can subscribe to these sites on Google Reader, and it will notify you of any additions.  This will definitely save me some valuable time.  While choosing my sites to subscribe to, I realized that you can not add all sites to your list.  Some of the ones I wanted to add weren't available.  Hopefully, more will continue to be added.

Teachers can definitely use this tool to keep up-to-date on current news in education, especially technology.  Personally, I would like to use this tool to help me with my family tree project.  I am hoping that I will be able to add several of the sites I visit often while working on this project.  If so, that will be an awesome time saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment