Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thing # 12 - Google is not just for searching

Google tools are awesome!!  I am using Google Calendar this school year on my website to communicate more effectively with parents regarding classwork and homework.  I simply embedded my calendar into a page on my site.  Each time I update my calendar, it is automatically updated on my website.  Here is the link to my page (it is best viewed by clicking on "agenda" on the top right side of the calendar):
http://mrsbundesfifthgrad.weebly.com/weekly-planslessons.html

I began using Picasa Web albums this past summer while taking a Multimedia class for my masters program.  It is extremely easy to set up and use.  I like it because you are able to not only add photos, you can resize them and create special effects on them.  On a photo of one of my dogs, Bandit, I was able to touch up his left eye.  After coming down with a condition caused by breathing in some type of spore two years ago, his left eye has been left partially white.  He can still see a little with it, thank goodness!  With Picasa, I was able to make his eye look perfectly normal.  If you don't have any photo programs of your own to use, Picasa is a great resource and it's free! 

My husband uses Google Translate.  He has it on his cell phone.  He often encounters manuals written in Japanese at work.  With this tool, he can check maintenance manuals and communicate more effectively with co-workers who speak other languages.  He may be traveling to Korea in the near future.  I am sure this tool will definitely come in very handy!!  I know that the ELL teacher at our school has to have things translated often.  I plan to recommend this site to her as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment