Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thing #15 - Wikis

I was first introduced to wikis in Dr. Luck's class.  He had set up a wiki containing technology tools.  It was our job to contribute anything new that no one had already thought of to add or perhaps add to someone else's discussion.  If needed, we were to do research on our topic and add sources to the wiki as well.  I remember at first not totally getting the purpose behind it or really even what on earth a wiki was!  However, once I looked at the site, it was easy to follow and understand its purpose.  I think that wikis could be a great place for students to comment on others ideas and add some of their own thoughts as well.  I had thought that I might like to start a math wiki for my students.  Perhaps I could have a question of the week and the students could share their solutions and describe the steps they took to solve it.  I think that the students would love doing this as well.  However, when I asked my principal, she said what is a wiki.  Once I explained, she said that she would check into it for me.  Sadly, she came back with a no.  She told me that our technology director said things like this were blocked at our school.  I really love working with technology, and we teach students who have been born into this technology-driven world.  Why would we not use it to enrich what we teach?  Since then, I have looked for ways other teachers use wikis.  This is one I came across a while back.  Due to time, I haven't had time to explore every page of it, but what I've seen is certainly appealing.  Not only that, it is the grade that I teach!  It is titled Mrs. Shanahan's Wiki and is located at http://shanahan1.pbworks.com/.  I love blogging.  However, I think using a wiki in your class could allow your students the opportunity to create, edit, and share all under the approval of the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment